WAKE COUNTY - Major natural gas leak in 4700 block of Guy Road. Reported as an
explosion by neighbors about 8:00 p.m. Engine 4 arrived and found a major gas leak at pipeline
facility, with a plume of natural gas rising some twenty feet in the air. Crews
commenced evacuating homes within a one-mile radius of leak, while roads into
the scene were closed. The command post, staging, and rehab were established at a
service station at the intersection of Guy Road and Highway 70. Haz-mat units were
requested from the Raleigh Fire Department, which performed atmospheric monitoring
after the leak was stopped about 8:50 p.m. News reported the cause as eight-inch
wide relief value at an above-ground regulator station. The resulting release
produced 500 pounds of pressure. Units on scene included Garner E4, E1, L1, B1, C1, Tanker 12, B1, C1; Eastern
Wake P1, Tanker 3; Clayton E4, B2, C1; Raleigh HM1, HM3, HM4, B3; Wake EMS EMS 7, D1, D6, T1; WC 1; Wake EM.
Mike Legeros photographs.