Anyone familiar with Raleigh history, or who has strolled the city's east side, is familiar with the skeleton of St. Agnes Hospital on the campus of St. Augustine's College. For fire historians, the first question is usually "when was the fire that reduced the hospital to its bare walls?" The answer is... never. St. Agnes Hospital closed intact in 1961. Why are only walls left? Today's News & Observer has an article on the famous structure, and bit about its history. In 1996, the National Park Service granted the college $769,000 toward restoration repairs. Five years later, work stopped, and perhaps left the structure in its current state.
What about fires? On Feb. 2, 1909, two of the city's volunteer fire companies fought a fire at the hospital. St. Agnes and the college was outside the city at that time. Loss about $1,000. On May 26, 1911, the hospital and the college suffered fires large and small when high-voltage power lines energized the school grounds. On Dec. 16, 1926, the third floor had a fire. College students fought the flames until the fire department arrived. Damage initally estimated at $25,000. The State Archives also has undated newspaper photos of a smaller fire in the late 1940s or early 1950s. Still trying to find that date.
Some pictures of the hospital today, from the Goodnight, Raleigh! site: http://goodnightraleigh.com/2008/07/the-..
Legeros - 03/27/09 - 07:49