09/01/09 185 W, 1 I - + 10 - 10 Fire Extinguished at Raleigh Mayor's House


Last night's working fire at 324 S. Boylan Avenue was at the home of Raleigh Mayor Charles Meeker, as this WRAL story reports. He was reportedly eating dinner about 9 p.m. and "had some power surges." He went into his television room, and noticed smoke and flames from "an adjoining storage room." Firefighters arrived "in about 90 seconds," he notes in this News & Observer article. "Real quick," said Mayor Meeker. The electrical fire was quickly extinguished, reports this Associated Press story via DanRiver.com and as surfaced by Dave Statter. Wonder how many other local or national outlets carried the story?

Dispatched at 8:35 p.m., Engine 13 arrived with light smoke showing from a two-story, wood-frame structure with 2,831 square-feet. The call was upgraded to a working fire, and extinguished within minutes. it was controlled at 8:48 p.m. Fire units on scene also included Engine 1, Engine 5, Ladder 4, Rescue 2, Battalion 3, Car 10, Car 20, and Air 8. The house is located in historic Boylan Heights. It was built in 1914. 
  


Ethan Hyman/News & Observer photo




As bonus entertainment, read some of the reader comments on the WRAL site: http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/590..

Mr. & Mrs. Six Pack don’t understand at all.
Legeros - 09/01/09 - 17:05

As entertaining as those comments are, it is also frustrating even from an average citizen, much less a firefighter. The complete ignorance of people is just amazing. Like one of the posters on that site mentioned, why do some feel the need to post things that aren’t true rather than ask a question if they do not know. I suppose that would also go for many posters on this site as well.
John Q. Public - 09/01/09 - 19:20

Mike, I wish you did not post the bonus entertainment! I did read the comments and I would rather of not known that there are people that ignorant!!! I like(not really) the comment that one post said something like he/she only saw 8 to 10 firefighters on the scene when the upstairs of their neighbors house caught on fire. That is because the other 10 or 15 firefighters were inside working their butts off to save his/her neighbor’s house or search for victims.
FireBugg - 09/02/09 - 21:24



  
Remember personal info?

/ Textile

Comment moderation is enabled on this site. This means that your comment will not be visible on this site until it has been approved by an editor.

To prevent spam we require you to answer this silly question
 

  (Register your username / Log in)

Notify:
Hide email:

Small print: All html tags except <b> and <i> will be removed from your comment. You can make links by just typing the url or mail-address.