01/05/06 127 W - + 12 - 14 RFD Training Building Construction Dates
Ever wonder when the old smokehouse, the old training tower, and the Keeter Training Center were built?
Here are the dates and details:
Station 5 on Park Drive opened, 11/18/26
Station 5 on Park Drive closed, 7/24/61 - Firefighters demolish the structure themselves and save the bricks. Building possibly demolished by 9/26/61
Smokehouse on grounds of training tower built by August, 1964 - Date from 8/13/64 Raleigh Times photograph. Wake real estate records say 1965, though they are never necessarily accurate. Built using bricks from old Station 5. Unknown if built entirely or partially with old bricks.
Training tower built, summer 1954
Training tower demolished, 4/16/05
Keeter Training Center opened, May 1982
For more information on the history of RFD training facilities, see http://www.legeros.com/ralwake/raleigh/history/rfd-training-towers.pdf