09/15/11 517 W - + 1 - 4 Morning News - September 15, 2011
Good morning Raleigh . Cooler weather on the way. Some twenty degrees cooler, in fact. Good weather for outdoor activities, such as Saturday's Public Safety Day sponsored by Durham Highway Fire Department (read blog post). It's that time of year, and we'll be compiling our usual list of coming fire department events. Please pass along event information as desired. We'll also be watching Facebook for postings and mentions. Now to some news stories and such...
- Firefighters Keep The Faith - Wake Forest Weekly story excerpt about last week's third Tunnels to Towers race. As the story notes, the organizers lined the start of the race with 343 pairs of firefighting boots. Each bore an American flag and the name of one of the first responders who died in the collapse of the World Trade Center on September 11, 2011. Read the full story in the print issue. See the front page, for a nice photo from the event.
- Working the Job: Charlotte's Stair Climb
-That's a firefighting blog out of the Queen City, and a posting about
the blogger's participation in the Memorial Stair Climb held last
weekend. Hadn't seen the site before. Looks about a year old. Neat
disclaimer that invites readers to report "questionable, dishonest, or
other inappropriate content" to CFD. Google easily finds other coverage
and news stories about the Charlotte event.
- Fire Law - We've mentioned this one before, an exceptionally interesting blog by veteran firefighter and blogger Curt Varone. The latest posting is a eye-grabber: Can a Patient Video Their Own Treatment? He also this week weighed in on a Suffolk County, New York, incident where an EMS worker grabbed the camera of a news videographer at the scene of a haz-mat incident. That story and passionate discussion therein started on Firegeezer, and spread to Statter911. As usual, there are comments a-dozen on Dave's site.
- Does Your Web Site Bite? - Okay, that's my headline for a impressive set of informational graphics by Adam Small titled "Eight Reasons Why Visitors Leave Your Site." Why should you care if people are leaving your web site? You think it's cool-looking. And your boss likes it. But if the thing was created for others to use and take action upon using the web site-- use information, engage services, buy stuff, etc.-- then it's a problem if they're not staying around, to get what you want them to get. Got it?
- Raleigh City Museum Looks to the Future - News & Observer story from last week on changes happening there. First is a planned reinvention of its displays, to feature interactive exhibits highlighting Raleigh's present and future. Second is a transfer of administrative duties from the privately operated museum organization to the city's Parks and Recreation department.
- City of Raleigh Web Site Named Finalist... -
Speaking of web sites, the city's public web portal has been named a top
ten finalist in the Center for Digital Government's 2011 Best of the
Web awards. How cool is that? Read the press release.
Regarding the last bullet: Seriously? Have they tried to USE the website? Specifically, search for ANYTHING?
rfburns - 09/15/11 - 13:43