10/03/13 186 W, 1 I - + 2 - 2 Vance County Fire Station Catches Fire


This Daily Dispatch story reports that Vance County Station 3 at 188 Bickett Street caught fire on Wednesday morning. Firefighters had departed their quarters about 8:00 a.m. for a tobacco barn blaze. At least two medical units there had also left the station, responding to unrelated medical emergencies. Left behind was a "pan breakfast with potatoes frying in grease." The Henderson Fire Department was called to the station shortly after 8:30 a.m.

Fire damaged some of the kitchen area, while smoke produced more extensive damage to the facility. Total estimate damages are upward of $50,000. The fire station will continue in operation, using a mobile command unit. One of the ambulances and its crew has been relocated to a city station downtown. They'll also be open for Fire Prevention Week. This year's theme is... prevent kitchen fires.

And the lesson remains a good one, as articulated by Henderson Fire Chief Danny Wilkerson, "No one is immune to the danger of a kitchen fire." Glad that the damage wasn't worse. Go easy on the busting-of-chops.
 


Google Street View photo







  
Remember personal info?

/ Textile

Comment moderation is enabled on this site. This means that your comment will not be visible on this site until it has been approved by an editor.

To prevent spam we require you to answer this silly question
 

  (Register your username / Log in)

Notify:
Hide email:

Small print: All html tags except <b> and <i> will be removed from your comment. You can make links by just typing the url or mail-address.