February 10, 2018
This page presents
a historical perspective of fire-related fatalities from
1948 to 2018, as
related to emergency calls answered by the Raleigh Fire
View the document (PDF)
View Google Map
- The majority of these fatalities occurred
within the city limits.
- The data is incomplete, with gaps most likely in the 1950s.
- The data begins in 1948, with the deadliest fire in
the city’s history.
- Data is primarily but not
exclusively based on structural fires.
- Transportation-related fire deaths are excluded, with a
couple listed as addendum.
- Compiled Mike Legeros, from sources including news stories and fire
- Originated as a
blog post in 2013.