09/30/08 77 W - + 18 - 8 Room Blazes as Man Calmly Reads in Bed


The March 6, 1940 edition of the News & Observer reported on a fire in the room of Phillip Brockwell at 322 S. McDowell Street. Embers from an overheated fireplace started the fire, as Brockwell read in bed. The brother of Sherwood Brockwell, a senior fire enginer for the DOI and Raleigh's first full-time Fire Chief, didn't know the room was ablaze until he "smelled clothes burning." Damage estimated at $200.





  
Remember personal info?

/ Textile

Comment moderation is enabled on this site. This means that your comment will not be visible on this site until it has been approved by an editor.

To prevent spam we require you to answer this silly question
 

  (Register your username / Log in)

Notify:
Hide email:

Small print: All html tags except <b> and <i> will be removed from your comment. You can make links by just typing the url or mail-address.