08/29/14 345 W - + 3 - 1 Former Fire Departments of Buncombe County
One of the reasons I'm excited about Brian Lawrence's book Firefighting in Buncombe County (see prior posting) is the information he's provided about former fire departments. That's a passion of mine, researching and documenting fire departments that are no longer around. Even have a database on my findings.
Needless to say, I will be parsing Brian's book in detail for details about Buncombe departments of yore. Looks like this is the line-up, when comparing his findings to mine. Will be reviewing and then updating my database.
- Amcel Propulsion Company Fire Brigade - Operated from 1960 until at
least 1965. See recent
- Beacon FD – Operated from 1925 until apparently
1976, when they donated their only fire truck to the Swannanoa FD, which they
help organize in 1959.
- Beaverdam FD – Operated from 1960 to
- Biltmore Estate – The famous house was equipped with fire equipment,
including at least one fire engine. More later.
- Biltmore Forest FD – Operated from 1923 to 1995. More later.
- Biltmore Village FD – Operated from 1910 to 1929. More later.
- Candler FD –
Chartered in 1961, but never organized into a functioning
- Enka FD – Operated from 1926 to 1987, and then as solely
a plant brigade for about four more years.
- Haw Creek FD – Operated
from 1961 to 2009. Merged with Asheville FD.
- Kenilworth FD – Operated
from 1891 to 1929.
- Mount Pisgah Academy FD – Operated from 1952 to
- North Buncombe FD – Rural department with own board and tax
district, but that stored equipment and shared volunteers with Weaverville FD
from 1976 to 2000.
- North Carolina Juvenile Evaluation Center –
Opened 1960, at former Moore Hospital. Also called Western North Carolina Youth Correction Center. Operated fire department in early
- Oteen Hospital FD – Operated from circa 1918 to
1976. See recent
blog post, which will be updated with new information from Brian's book.
- Ridgecrest Conference Center FD – Staff operated fire
apparatus. Years of operation unknown.
- US Army Moore General Hospital – Opened 1942. Two-bay
fire station on site. Became VA hospital in 1946. Transferred to state to become
juvenile evaluation center in 1960.
- West Asheville FD – Operated
from 1914 to 1917.
This is awesome! Growing up in Western NC I didn’t even know about a few of these departments, especially West Asheville FD, Ridgecrest FD and Mount Pisgah Academy FD. I will definitely be purchasing the arcadia book.
BFD1151 - 08/29/14 - 14:13