|5001 Western Boulevard||
Opened February 1963
4,275 square feet (excluding basement),
one story with basement
Mike Legeros photos
Google Earth photo
History: Station 8 opened on April 1, 1960, in a rented house at 903 Kent Road (presently addressed 1007 Method Road). Engine 8 was placed in service with the apparatus and crew of Engine 9, a 1958 American LaFrance pumper from Station 1.
The crew was ordered to the station by Fire Chief Jack Keeter at 11:55 p.m.
on March 31, 1960, five minutes after the City Council approved annexation
of an area in west Raleigh. Tanker 1 was also placed in service at Station
8. Two shifts of six men manned the station, which served newly annexed
areas in west Raleigh. Both trucks were housed in a concrete addition built
by the firefighters.
After February 14, 1963, a new Station 8 opened at 5001 Western Boulevard. The $63,000 building included an approximate 4,500-square-foot basement area with two apparatus bays for storing reserve apparatus.
In June 1987, the Services Division moved into the basement area. On October 8, 2004, the Services Division began relocating to the new Support Services Center adjacent to the city heavy equipment depot at 4120 New Bern Avenue.
The basement was remodeled into a Battalion Chief's quarters and occupied on November 19, 2004. The basement was further modified into an office and living area for the Division Chief and was occupied on December 10, 2005.
Station 8 also housed a service ladder company from 1981 to 1987, an aerial ladder company from 1987 to 2004, and an air truck since January 1, 2007.Last update: 31DEC12
|Home / Reset Frames||
This page was last updated on 11/06/13 04:02:26 PM