03/01/07 49 W - + 14 - 11 Johnston County Dump Fire


Says this WRAL article, smoke from the yard-waste dump fire near Clayton is suspected of setting off smoke alarms in buildings at NCSU on Wednesday night! That's some 15 miles as the crow files. Officials were stumped. Ha! Update: News & Observer article on extinguishing techniques tried.



Have the environmental agencies been monitoring particulate levels to protect the firefighters and nearby residents? I see or hear no mention of anything but carbon monoxide levels online and on TV.

I’ve looked into this subject a lot, since mother was poisoned by a contractor neighbor that was burning construction debris (some of it treated). The following page is one of the best links I’ve found.

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/burn/burnpg.h..

See:

January 1997
EPA/600/SR-96/128 Evaluation of Emissions from the Open Burning of Land-Clearing Debris

October 1996
EPA-600/R-96-128 Evaluation of Emissions from the Open Burning of Land-Clearing Debris (CTC)

1998
EPA/600/SR-98/013 Products of Incomplete Combustion from Direct Burning of Pentachlorophenol-treated Wood Wastes

December, 1993
A Summary of the Emissions Characterization and Noncancer Respiratory Effects of Wood Smoke-EPA-453/R-93-036
[hnizdo] - 03/03/07 - 19:34



  
Remember personal info?

/ Textile

Comment moderation is enabled on this site. This means that your comment will not be visible on this site until it has been approved by an editor.

To prevent spam we require you to answer this silly question
 

  (Register your username / Log in)

Notify:
Hide email:

Small print: All html tags except <b> and <i> will be removed from your comment. You can make links by just typing the url or mail-address.