|2601 Fairview Road||
14,000 square-feet, two stories
original Station 6 opened on March 3, 1943, in a rented building at 2519
Fairview Road. It was formerly occupied by a bottling company, and had recently
housed the Victory Soda Shop. Built in 1936, the one-story structure measured 50
by 88 feet. The fire department occupied one half of the building.
Station 6 was dedicated on March 3, 1943, in a ceremony attended by officials including the Mayor, the Commissioner of Public Safety, the Fire Chief, the State Fire Marshal, and the chief of the cityís auxiliary firefighters.
Engine 6 operated a 1919 American LaFrance pumper, purchased in 1942 at auction from Farmville, NC. Six men manned the station at the northwest edge of the city: Capt. Charles L. Hayes, Lt. John B. Keeter, and firefighters William J. Gardner, C. Douglas Mills, Carl L. Wall, and William W. White. It served the Hayes Barton area including Budleigh, Anderson Heights, Woodrow Park, Vanguard Park, and Villa Park.
Plans for a permanent fire station were completed in August 1946. Construction was delayed for three years. Shortages of labor and materials were impacting building projects at the time. In May 1948, the city lost its lease to the rented building and Engine 6 was relocated to Station 5.
On June 25, 1949, a new Station 6 opened at 2601 Fairview Road. Two days later, Truck 6 was placed in service with a 1922 American LaFrance service ladder truck. Twenty-two firemen staffed the $65,000 station designed by local architect William H. Deitrick. The two-story engine house measured 5,408 square-feet.
The following spring, Engine 6 received a 1950 Mack, one of the first modern pumpers purchased by the city. The engine served for a quarter century on Fairview Road. It operated as a reserve unit for many more years, and is presently part of the fire departmentís antique fleet.
Truck 6, a service ladder company, operated until 1979. Station 6 also housed a Battalion Chief from 1975 to 1988, and a rescue company from 1982 to 2001.
On June 27, 2009, the fire stationís 60th anniversary was celebrated with an open house. Old Engine 6 was displayed, with other antique and modern apparatus. The event included a hot dog lunch, tours of the fire station, and birthday cake served by Fire Chief John McGrath.
On May 29, 2017, Station 6 closed, in preparation for a project to demolish and rebuild the fire station. Engine 6 relocated to Station 5. Demolition was planned to start in July. Construction would take 14 months.
Last updated: June 2, 2017
|Home / Reset Frames||
This page was last updated on 07/31/19 01:14:08 PM